What is hair transplant in Vancouver?
Baldness, also known as alopecia, is a very abundant problem seen in both men an women, even if the first are much more prone to suffer any kind of this disease. This means a gradual loss in hair be it complete or partially. For those that have any type of baldness, there are several methods they can go to, one of them being the most efective, which is the hair graft in Vancouver or hair transplant. Hair graft supposes a surgery in which the area affected by baldness is replaced with a donor area from the same patient, in which the hair follicles are exchanged do the growth in places where it didn’t occur anymore is now stimulated.
There are many factor to consider when practicing hair graft surgery in Vancouver, as is the patient’s age, the state and the density of their hair in both the donor area and the area to be treated, and some other important points. Firstly, the reasons that cause alopecia in both genders must be known:
- Age: One of the signs of aging is the appearance of white hairs, shown because of the loss of melanin in the hair. Likewise, the protein fibers that constitute the hair diminish in size as they also loose pigment, so the once thick and dark hair may gradually become in a thin white one.
- Stress: It can cause up to three typed of alopecia, be it by emotional of physical stress. It usually does not cause a permanent hair loss, but it can turn into a cronic problem if not treated, so the best way to prevent it is to control big amounts of stress.
- Bad nutrition: Know as alopecia by nutritional deficit, it is caused by the lack of vitamins and proteins in a diet, so that the hair cannot is unable of producing new hairs the same way. Because of this, to have healthy hair, the consumption of proteins, fruits, and specific foods like fish and black chocolate is recommended.
- Weight loss: If a person loses a large amount of weight really fast, which usually goes hand in hand with the alreat mentioned not adequate diet, this can generate baldness, as it is added intense, constant exercise, specially those that invilce strenght, which consume the protein from the body and cause sweating that increases the grease in the hair and, with that, the falling of it.
- Carelessness in hair trearment: This can appear if a person mistreats the hair for too long, with habits such as tying the hair with too much tension too often, causing alopecia by traction. It also occurs due to the use of hair dyes which weaken hair fibers.
- Diseases: Besides alopecia being an individual disorder, it can also be a symptom or consequence of other. People with diabetes can experiment baldness due to the high levels of glucose, interrupting the blood’s adequate flow. It can also appear in people that suffer from lupus, ailment in which the hair turns thinner and is lost in strands. Besides, the medicines and treatments of this diseases can cause alopecia, naming some like antidepressants, contraceptives, beta blockers, anti-inflammatories, and others; and also treatments like chemotherapy, which is known for causing even total hair loss, and radiotherapies in the head, where the quantity of the hair lost depends on the intensity of the administered radiation.
In women, alopecia can appear due to a couple of reasons:
- Pregnancy: Even when, during pregnancy, hormones that promote hair growth are abundant, once the woman reaches the post-partum phase, this hormones significantly decrease, and the scalp is weakened. Alopecia after pregnancy is very common and is seen in a big part of women that have given birth.
- Menopause: During this stage, the hair’s life cycle becomes shorter, anf the organism starts releasing bigger quantities of masculine hormones, known as androgenic hormones, which greatly influence in the loss of hair.
In men, alopecia is much more common than in women, and is mainly generated by the genetic predisposition they may have. If a man has a direct relative that suffers from baldness, in most cases he will eventually develop it too when he reaches a certain age. Besides, they show large amounts of androgenic hormones which can increase or accelerate the loss.
Any of these reasons can start alopecia, so the next step is determine the specific type of baldness that a person is suffering from. Among the types of alopecia we find:
- Androgenic alopecia: It is known as the most common type of alopecia and with the most cases existing, 90% of them in people younger than 21 and 50% in people older than 40 being androgenic alopecia. To distinguish the alopecia, we noted that it is characterized by a general loss of density, changing the thickness of the hairs. However, the hair does fall, forming a shape called “M” or “horseshoe” in men. In women, the most common cases stay in a loss of density. The cause of this type of alopecia lays in a high presence of masculine hormones, which can happen due to the mentioned genetic predisposition, giving it the name of hereditary alopecia as well.
- Alopecia areata: Differently than androgenic alopecia, this one is not hereditary, making it unlikely to find another family member with the same condition. The people who suffer from this affliction will notice an inflammed scalp with patches surrounding it that grow slowly. It usually appears in people younger than 20 years old.
- Telogen effluvium: Also known as difuse alopecia, it is characterized by thin hair that breaks easily, along with not having any type of pattern or patches to define it. The hair loses strenght, falling and not growing back afterwards, making it impossible to generate new hairs that replace the ones before. Is mostly seen in quemotherapy patients and similar treatments, and also in people with bad nutrition.
- Scarring hair loss: It is the type of alopecia that carries the most consequences. The cause of it are usually other diseases, which damage and destroy the scalp and hair follicles by inmflammation, peeling, redness and pain, being impossible to regenerate te hairs, stopping the hair from growing.
- Fibrosin alopecia: This type of alopecia’s evolution is one of the slowest, as years can go by without showing visible signs. The hair becomes weaker in the frontal and side areas of the scalp. It is lostly seen in women during menopause.
Other types of baldness that deserve to be named are trichotillomania, a nervous disorder where the person removes the hair by strands; traumatic alopecia, which is caused by really tense hairstyles; baldness by fungus which cause inffections; and folliculitis, where the hair follicles get so swollen they are destroyed and the hair cannot grow back.
Just like some types of alopecia can be cured with treatments if they are diagnosed in time, or even preventing the causes shown before, many times the only solution lays in hair grafs in Vancouver, solution that guarantees betterment even in the most drastic cases. A person who decides to undergo this microsurgical operation will go to the surgeon with the correct diagnosis, so that he can begin the procedure.
Which are the techniques used of hair grafts in Vancouver
The hair graft durgery can last from 6 to 10 hoyrs depending on the level of alopecia and the type of surgery that will be done, because of this, it could be considered as an relatively extensive procedure. For the types of alopecia that can be treated with a transplant, there are two possible techniques for hair grafts in Vancouver:
- FUT technique: It is known as the strand technique, as it is exactly this that is removed from the scalp in the donor area, a strand of approximately 1 centimeter of width and about 20 centimeters of lenght, usually belonging to the back of the head, and after taking it out the incision is stitched in a way it is not noticeable. Once completely separated, it is divided in follicular units, each one holding two or three hairs, and its placed in strategically placed in the treated area so it suits the patien’s needs. The FUT technique is recommended for a vast number of alopecia cases because it accomplishes natural results without needing to shave the hair.
- FUE technique: As the name indicates, the Follicular Unit Extraction technique is a procedure in ehich the follicular units are extracted individually and not in a strand like the FUE technique. Firstly, the hair in the donor area must be shaven off, which is not an obstacle as this area is one where the hair will always keep growing, and it is removed unit by unit. Every unit has an approximate size of 0.8 milimeters, and this incision technique is called micropunch. Following this, the area to be treated is slowly filled with these hairs in the most needed places.
Finishing a hair graft procedure, the intervened area is bandaged and the patient will be able to go home the same day.
Who can undergo a hair graft in Vancouver
To be able to request a hair transplant, the patient will have to suffer from a certain level of alopecia and have been affected by the causes of it, so they will show a lack of density or bald patches around the scalp. However, an ideal profile exists to guarantee an optimal result so the hair graft surgery in Vancouver can permanently solve all these problems in the hair. Said profile involves:
- Age: Even if it is possible for younger and older people to participate in a hair transplant, the preferred age range in this procedure goes from 30 to 45 years old, and if it is done before, the alopecia pattern might not be completely defined and the patient might show hair loss later in their lives; and for people older than 45, the surgery might not be enough even directly after it, not allowing a complete recovery of density.
- Abundant donor area: For the receptor area to recieve a fair amount of follicles, the donor area must hace enough to hold the graft and then grow back on it’s own after the operation. Without this donation, there is no way for the person to deliver the necessary for the balding parts on the scalp, which stops a successful result.
- Good health: It is not a requirement just for this surgery, but any other procedure alike, as complications can surface and adverse reactions during the operation. That is whoy yhose who do not possess the probability of compromising the procedure or adverse reactions to the anestesia, and those who are not vulnerable to bad scarring and infections are ideal patients for hair grafts.
- No diseases: The types of alopecia that cannot be trusted by a transplant are the ones cause by diseases external to the patient’s health and, even if the problem is treated with this procedure, it will continue after it as the main problem was not attacked, as can be stress, or tricotilomania. It is recommended that the ñerson control said inconveniences and observe an improvement in alopecia before considering hair grafts in Vancouver.
Before hair transplant in Vancouver
Once its determined that the patient can continue, the preoperatice stage starts, where the preparations for the surgery are just as important as The cares during and after it, as it will determine the person’s health when getting the hair grafts in Vancouver, and their capacity of dealing with the invervention. The preoperative process starts with a series of examinations and hair evaluations, of which we can name:
- Tricoscopy: An essential part for the diagnosis of alopecia, it is the analysis of the hair under a device that allows the surgeon to obtain the information they need about the state of the scalp. There is no previous preparation needed, and it is done with the hair dry and the device directly in the head, or using a gel or special liquid to aid the analysis.
- Trichogram: It represents another way to analyse the patient’s hair. This time, it will be necessary to take a sample, unlike the tricoscopy where there is no need to take a strand of hair. With this strand, the specialist will place it under a microscope, paying attention to the shape and integrity of it. Sometimes it is only required to cut the hair, and other times, the root of the hair have to be examined as well, the dtrand has to be removed carefully.
Besides these, the surgeon can also request a blood analysis to control the levels of glucose, sodium, potasium, hepatitis test, AIDS and, in general, the bleeding that can occur during the surgery; and the clinical history of the patient, because their family background is an important factor in the appearance of alopecia.
It is required that the patient adjusts their daily habits before hair grafts in Vancouver, like quit smoking if the patient is a smoker, stop consuming alcohol or drinks with cafein or nicotine, and consulting the consumption or suspension of medicine. They must also avoid applying hair products like gel or sprays, or topic solutions like Minoxidil, as they might cause severe bleeding. It is recommended that the patient does not get involve in exercises like cardio, but they should massage the area where the transplant will occur, with horizontal and vertical movements to stimulate the zone and make sure the scalp is in good condition without any kind of alteration, as this may cause the suspension of the surgery.
The day of the operation the patient must be in fasting, without consuming any type of food or drink, and their last meal must have been light and easy to digest.
After hair drafts in Vancouver
The last step of the surgery is, like we have already metioned, the bandaged in the treated area. Once the intervention is over, the postoperative will begin. It is to be noted that the first days are the most important, and the whole phase would have this evolution:
- As the patient returns home almost immedialy after the surgery, they are not allowed to wash their hair and must keep their head elevated
- On the sevond day, the review appointment is due and the specialists wash and examine the hair after removing the bandages, stimulating the scalp.
- After the third day they can begin participating in exercises they could not before, these being demanding ones like cardio. They can also consume alcohol drinks again, and usual medicines like anticoagulants and aspirines.
- Before the first week the patient cannot be exposed to the sun. And a second review will be done after twelve days if the techinique used was te FUT.
- The hair will begin growing after a month and before that the patient is not allowed to cut their hair..
When are the results of hair grafts in Vancouver appreciated
The results are not immediate, as they have to wait for the hair to continue the cycle of rest and growth, and this evolution in relatively slow. As we have mentioned, they must wait a few months for the hair to gradually grow. Even when it is already in that phase, the new hair is less visble and thinner than that in other areas, like the donor zone, and as time passes this will turn thicker and will adopt a natural look that goes with the rest of the hair. To reach a look that satisfies the client, 11 months or a year must go by, after which the final result of hair grafts in Vancouver can be seen.
Risks of hair grafts in Vancouver
This surgery is of low risk in comparison with other surgeries, but just like these it has a few possible complications, even though they are of low severity. Among these risks are:
- Bad scarring: Specially likely in patients that are smokers, the scar that is made by extracting the donor area may look more visible and inflamed than it should, having in mind that the scar from a hair transplant is almost invisible.
- Infections: Because of this incision in the scalp, there is a small chance that this might get infected and must get treated immediately, hindering the postoperative. The probability of this happening increases if the patient does not maintain a good hygiene.
- Loss of sensitivity: Due to the fact that in this procedure the nerves of the scarring zone are involved, it can lead to a total loss of sensitivity in this part of the head, although it is very uncommon, as te majority of times it is temporary and the sensitivity will return after a couple of weeks.
- Facial edema: The least common out of all the risks mentioned, it represents four or five percent of all cases, being a swollen face due to the leak of physiological serum used to diminish the bleeding. It is not permanent and would probably disappear after a couple of days.
Important points about hair grafts in Vancouver
- Results will be more visible and satisfactory in people with dark and thick hair, even more if they have curls. In people with thin and light hair, the procedure might not be as evident.
- Some times, to get a hair transplant, it is necessary that the patient fulfills the hair loss process, so younger people or those that are varely beginning to show hair loss must have to wait before starting the procedure.
- Is the area to be treated is concrete, it helps the transplant, and the opposite occurs ehen there is no specific focus and baldness is dispersed across the scalp.
- The patient must not sustain sexual intercourse for at least two weeks after the surgery.
- The option of getting hair grafts in Vancouver must not be the first, and the person must make sure before that the kind of alopecia they suffer from cannot be corrected by any other means, like diminishing stress or fixing malnutrition.
The long-term intention of hair grafts in Vancouver is to completely eliminate patches of baldness of lack of density that alopecia can cause in people, improving their appearances and increasing their self-esteem.