What is hair transplant in Montreal?
A person’s hair can be an important part of their identity and how they are percieved. Hair loss canaffect them due to the condition known as alopecia, or baldness. This hair problem can affect both men and women, although men represent the majority of people that suffer from it and of patients that are eventually treated. As the causes and solutions of alopecia are varied, the most effective method to cure this condition is cosmetic surgery. Through this procedure, the intention is to completely replace thehair follicles of the affected area from those in an area where the hair still grows, in a way that stimulates growth in places it had stopped.
To practice a hair transplant surgery in Montreal, the general data of the patient has to be kept in mind, like their age, the state and density of their hair in the affected zone and the donor area. In one of these factors we could find the cause of the alopecia:
- Age: Just like the appearance of white hairs, which come up due to the loss of melanin in the hair, is a sign of aging, the protein fibers that constitue the hair also diminish, then the hair is also weakened besides only losing color.
- Stress: Stress greatly influences the loss of hair, being the cause of at least three types of alopecia. This are the types of alopecia where the person does not suffer a total or permanent baldness if this does not become a cronic problem, then the person only suffers from poor density in the hair while stress is still present.
- Bad nutrition: If a person avoids consuming vitamins and proteins in their diet, it is likely that they will eventually suffer from alopecia by nutritional deficit, as it gets harder for the organism to produce new hairs. Having strong, healthy hair goes hand in hand with consiming the right food, and like this we can name fish and dark chocolate as specific meals that help in this sense.
- Weight loss: Along with bad nutrition, excessive weight loss, be it by said diet or intense constant exercise, it accelerates the loss of proteins in the body due to sweating, generating more grease in the hair, which is already weak due to the lack of proteins, making it more susceptible to falling.
- Carelessness in hair treatment: Hair mistreatment can be seen in various ways, be it in the quemicals that are placed on it line hair dyes, that weaken hair fibers, or when styling it with abundant use of hair dryers and straighteners, or causing what is known as alopecia by traction, that happens when the hair is put into tense hair styles for a long alount of time.
- Diseases: Sometimes, alopecia it’s not an individual disorder, but the consequence of a bigger one that produces said hair loss. We can name diabetes, and lupus.
In women, alopecia can appear due to a couple of reasons:
- Pregnancy: Even when, during pregnancy, hormones that promote hair growth are abundant, once the woman reaches the post-partum phase, this hormones significantly decrease, and the scalp is weakened. Alopecia after pregnancy is very common and is seen in a big part of women that have given birth.
- Menopause: During this stage, the hair’s life cycle becomes shorter, anf the organism starts releasing bigger quantities of masculine hormones, known as androgenic hormones, which greatly influence in the loss of hair.
In men, alopecia is much more common than in women, and is mainly generated by the genetic predisposition they may have. If a man has a direct relative that suffers from baldness, in most cases he will eventually develop it too when he reaches a certain age. Besides, they show large amounts of androgenic hormones which can increase or accelerate the loss.
Any of these reasons can start alopecia, so the next step is determine the specific type of baldness that a person is suffering from. Among the types of alopecia we find:
- Androgenic alopecia Caused by genetic predisposition which lead to the generating of androgenic hormones, androgenic alopecia is the most seen type of balding of all, specially in men, since 90% of cases in men younger than 21 and 50% of older than 40 fall in this category. The hair ir lost gradually and the look of it turrns limp and thin. The density of the hair is compromised, but there are no patches present, only an “M” shape in men. Most likly the person will find a family member who has this condition.
- Alopecia areata: It happens due to stress, and it is not hereditary, os the root of the problem is usually from external causes that originate said stress. Alopecia areata affects the scalp as this gets swollen and the hair falls in patches. It is the most common in people around 20 years of age.
- Telogen effluvium: This type of alopecia is known to turn the hair thin and brittle. It is also characterized by diminishing the density of the hair without patches, giving it the name of difuse alopecia, as there is no specific shape or pattern to it. The hair loses it’s strenght and health and eventually falls without a replacement of new hairs. The cause of telogen effluvium is usually due to chemotherapy and this type pf treatmants, and malnourishment.
- Scarring hair loss: Scarring alopecia can be the most painful of all the types of baldness, as the hair is replaced with scarring tissure, accompanied by inflammation, redness, peeling and pain in the scalp.
- Fibrosin alopecia: This alopecia is usually seen in women during menopause, as its a slower type that can last several years of showing visible signs, turning the hair weaker mostly on the frontal and side areas of the scalp.
- Other types of baldness that deserve to be named are trichotillomania, a nervous disorder where the person removes the hair by strands; traumatic alopecia, which is caused by really tense hairstyles; baldness by fungus which cause inffections; and folliculitis, where the hair follicles get so swollen they are destroyed and the hair cannot grow back.
Just like some types of alopecia can be cured with treatments if they are diagnosed in time, or even preventing the causes shown before, many times the only solution lays in hair grafs in Montreal, solution that guarantees betterment even in the most drastic cases. A person who decides to undergo this microsurgical operation will go to the surgeon with the correct diagnosis, so that he can begin the procedure.
Which are the techniques used of hair grafts in Montreal
The hair graft durgery can last from 6 to 10 hoyrs depending on the level of alopecia and the type of surgery that will be done, because of this, it could be considered as an relatively extensive procedure. For the types of alopecia that can be treated with a transplant, there are two possible techniques for hair grafts in Montreal:
- FUT Technique: It is possibly the most popular one of the two since it works for many of the different alopecia cases seen, and the result is natural and satisfactory for the majority of them. It carries the name of “strand technique” since the donor zone is used to extract a strand that holds healthy hair follicles that stimulate the growth in the affected area. The first step is to create an incision in the area, extracting the 1 centimenter wide and 20 centimenter long strand, and stitch the wound. Another benefit of a hair transplant is that the scar y practically invisible. Once the incision is sttiched, the strand is separated in follicular units, being two or three hair per unit, and these are inserted in the bald spots of the scalp in strategic way that adapts to the patient’s needs when speaking about direction and quantity.
- FUE Technique: This technique uses micropunch to make the incision in a smaller size than the technique before. FUE is defined as Follicular Unit Extraction, because these are removed individually from the first step, instead of being separated larer. Firstly, the head is shaven, something it is not seen in the FUT technique, and a series of incision of around 0.8 millimeters are made, to insert them after in the balding area.
Finishing a hair graft procedure, the intervened area is bandaged and the patient will be able to go home the same day.
Who can undergo a hair graft in Montreal
The ideal patient in the cases of hair transplants are those that have been affected by the cause of baldness named previously and suffer from any type of alopecia. That us why it is recommended to people whose hair is beginning to fall or is already in the middle of advanced balding. Besides, there is a list of requirements gor any possible patient that, even if they are ot necessarily rules, if the person falls within this profile, the result for their situation will be improved. Said requirements are:
- Age: If a person of under 30 participates in a hair graft surgery they might need a new one later on as the alopecia might not me completely defined and ended the fall stage of the hair. On the other hand, for people older than 45 the transplant might not even be enough for the hairloss that has already ocurred. That is why the ideal years to be involved in a hair transplant is between the ages of 30 and 45.
- Abundant donor area: As the donor area comes from the scalp of the patien themselves, the zone must be able to etract the necessary grafts for te donation to fill the empty spaces and still be many in itself. That is why the scalp and donor area are examined closely before the surgery.
- Good health: A necessary requirement for any procedure and not only hair grafts, the patient must be healthy enough to not put themselves in danger during the surgery and for them to not hold the probability of any complications during or after. The person must take care of their health or they might not be able to go through the hair graft surgery in Montreal.
- No diseases: As an addition to the latter, the patient’s respective type of alopecia must not be cause by diseases or disorders outside of the alopecia itself, like stress, lupus, or trichotilomania. They first must treat the origin of the baldness to be able to consider hair grafts.
Before hair grafts in Montreal
Once its determined that the patient can continue, the preoperative stage starts, where the preparations for the surgery are just as important as The cares during and after it, as it will determine the person’s health when getting the hair grafts in Montreal, and their capacity of dealing with the invervention. The preoperative process starts with a series of examinations and hair evaluations, of which we can name:
- Tricoscopy: An essential part for the diagnosis of alopecia, it is the analysis of the hair under a device that allows the surgeon to obtain the information they need about the state of the scalp. There is no previous preparation needed, and it is done with the hair dry and the device directly in the head, or using a gel or special liquid to aid the analysis.
- Trichogram: It represents another way to analyse the patient’s hair. This time, it will be necessary to take a sample, unlike the tricoscopy where there is no need to take a strand of hair. With this strand, the specialist will place it under a microscope, paying attention to the shape and integrity of it. Sometimes it is only required to cut the hair, and other times, the root of the hair have to be examined as well, the dtrand has to be removed carefully.
Besides these, the surgeon can also request a blood analysis to control the levels of glucose, sodium, potasium, hepatitis test, AIDS and, in general, the bleeding that can occur during the surgery; and the clinical history of the patient, because their family background is an important factor in the appearance of alopecia.
It is required that the patient adjusts their daily habits before hair grafts in Montreal, like quit smoking if the patient is a smoker, stop consuming alcohol or drinks with cafein or nicotine, and consulting the consumption or suspension of medicine. They must also avoid applying hair products like gel or sprays, or topic solutions like Minoxidil, as they might cause severe bleeding. It is recommended that the patient does not get involve in exercises like cardio, but they should massage the area where the transplant will occur, with horizontal and vertical movements to stimulate the zone and make sure the scalp is in good condition without any kind of alteration, as this may cause the suspension of the surgery.
The day of the operation the patient must be in fasting, without consuming any type of food or drink, and their last meal must have been light and easy to digest.
After hair transplant in Montreal
One the transplant is over, the area will be bandage and the patient usually will be able to go home that same day, starting the post-operatice stage, where the evolution of the hair grafts in Ottawa will be observed to make sure it bas a satisfactory result. On the second day the pacient will have to return for a revision, where the bandages will be removed and the hair washed in a way that stimulates the hair follicles and these adapt to their new positions. After that, the pacient still will not be able to participate in exercise, or take medicines like aspirines. Consuming alcoholic drinks is also prohibited. It is recomended that they keep their head elevated and do not touch the intervened area. Before reaching the two week mark it is important that the area does not come in contact with the sun, and before the first month after the hair transplant haircuts are not allowed.
When are the results of hair grafts in Montreal appreciated
Results for hair grafts in Montreal are not reachable in a small amount of time. The patient must wait for at least 11 months to a year as the hair goes through the entire cycle of fall and growth and the new hair begin appearing and the scalp slowly gets filled. After a year is the time the person can be satisfied with the final result of the surgery.
Risks of hair grafts in Montreal
This surgery is of low risk in comparison with other surgeries, but just like these it has a few possible complications, even though they are of low severity. Among these risks are:
- Bad scarring: Scarring is an important process to health the incision made when extracting the donor area. In some cases this might get more inflammed than it should and, even if it’s not a big cut, it can be more visible that the patien wishes. It is more common in patients that are smokers, being the reason with these must quit the habit before tbe surgery if they do not wsnt to deal with a situation like this.
- Infections: If a person does not maintain adequate hygine, it is possible that the area of the incision get infected, making the post operative a more delicate process. Any surgery where there must be cuts have a probability of this happening.
- Loss of sensitivity: Being that in a hair graft surgery the nerves of the scalp are involved, the scarring zone might observe a loss of sensitivity, many times temporary where this is recovered after a few weeks, but in some cases it can be permanent, even if the probability of this occuring is not much.
- Facial edema: As bleeding is involved in the surgery, the surgeon mght inject a serum so it is not on a bigger scale. Said serum can produce a swollen face, which is also temporary, and only reresents a small part of cases.
Important points about hair grafts in Montreal
- The people that will enjoy the best results are those with thick, dark and cutly hair, differently than their counterparts, the ones with light and thin hair, as the hair density will already be more abudant and visible before the treatment.
- To be able to participate in a hair transplant and male it the only surgery necessary, the ptient must have ended the hair loss cycle, so it does not continue after the intervention. That is why many young people must reach a certain age of baldness level before being able to solve the alopecia.
- The patient must abstain from sexual intercourse for a couple of weeks after the surgery ends.
- As we hace mentioned before, it is important to know that people whose alopecia is tied to stress or problems like it will have to eliminate said causes that generate baldness before considering hair grafts in Montreal, as it will not be able to solve it only from this trestment if said causes persist after it.
The long-term intention of hair grafts in Montreal is to completely eliminate patches of baldness of lack of density that alopecia can cause in people, improving their appearances and increasing their self-esteem.